K Fellfarers - the outdoor club for people in south Cumbria

Gallery 2014 - January

Greater spotted woodpecker
Kendal wall

High tides and storms lashed the British coastline at the start of the month resulting in lots of flooding. This photo from the Guardian on Saturday Jan 4th shows Sandside at the bottom of Storth Road.


Glencoe meet

Mick, Alan, Graham, Veronica, Frank, Mel, Charles, Alvin, Hugh

Mick, Alan, and Hugh drove up on Thursday afternoon to meet up at the Drovers at Inverarnan with Mel and two friends from Bassetlaw MC, Charles and Alvin. Here they are in the Drovers planning the following day prior to having a meal.

From left to right: Mick, Mel, Charles, Alvin, and Alan.
Friday dawned wet as per the forecast, and two groups set out. Mel and Alvin walked up the Munro Ben Vorlich, and the other four who had already done it attempted a Corbett. Here are Hugh, Mick, and Alan on the wet summit of Troisgeach, with Charles behind the camera.

Both groups then drove up to the Clachaig, and joined Graham, Veronica, and Frank in the pub.

Saturday was a better day, and the nine people set out in four different groups. Graham and Frank had some good skiing on the Glencoe ski runs, whilst Veronica and Alan did a local walk. Mel, Charles, and Alvin ascended the Munro Sgurr Eilde Mor from Kinlochleven, and Mick and Hugh walked up the Corbett Garbh Bheinn, a hill that both had been 'weathered off' previously.

This photo is from Alan showing the Pap of Glencoe above the lovely trees and lochan near Glencoe village.


Mick on the summit of Garbh Bheinn looking north

Hugh on the summit of Garbh Bheinn with Loch Leven behind and the Pap just to his right

Sunday was a poor forecast, but turned out better. Mel, Charles and Alvin did Beinn an Dothaidh on the way home, whilst Alan, Mick, and Hugh increased the clubs island count to 2 by ferrying over to Lismore and back.

The five bed chalet Rowan has been booked again for next year for £200. We'll have to wait and see whether there is enough demand for a second or third chalet later in the year.


Quiet weekend at High House

Val, Margaret and Roger, Sandra and Tony, Fred, Mark, Sue and Tony, Clare and Mick, Angie and Hugh, Nancy and Paul, Andrew

A good turn out for the winter walking weekend, which for various reasons had this year been this entitled a 'Quiet Weekend'.

Tony and Sue parked at Seatoller, caught the bus to Keswick, and then walked back to Seatoller via Cat Bells and Maiden Moor. Most other people met up at High House.

Friday night in High House, clockwise from Val with her back to the camera: Margaret, Tony A, Roger, Fred, Sandra, Mark, Tony M, Sue, Clare, Angie, and Mick.

Andrew Campbell drove up from Bristol very early Saturday morning, and had a good walk via Grains Ghyll to Bowfell and Crinkle Crags, returning via Great Gable and Green Gable.
Mark had a run from High House via Dale Head and Robinson to Buttermere, returning via Red Pike and Haystcks.
Mick and Clare took in some 'Birketts' over near Cockermouth, whilst Roger, Margaret, Angie, Val, Fred, and Hugh drove to Rosthwaite and walked to Keswick, returning on the bus. Here they are outside Portinscale on the suspension bridge.
Sandra and Tony contented themselves with a local walk.
Nancy and Paul arrived during Saturday.

All in all, a wet day, but all managed to get out.

Most had a meal in the Scafell in the evening.

Sunday was wet again, and most people drifted home.


Mid-week Walk - The Trough

From left to right outside Leighton Moss after coffee -
Sue, Val, Ellie, Margaret, Val, Fred, Jean, John, Mike, Les, Roger, Sam, Tony, Ruth, Lynn, Adelle, Jan, Hugh, Angie, Norman, Frank, and David, with Mick taking the photo and two missing.

One of the highest number of Fellfarers and friends ever assembled for a mid-week walk enjoyed an interesting walk along the line of the geological feature called The Trough. Perhaps the weather forecast had attracted them as it was due to be fine all day: amazing in a spell of seemingly never ending grey skies and drizzle. 21 members assembled at Arnside station and caught the 10.50 train to Silverdale, joining three members who caught the train from Grange. Ruth met up with us at Silverdale station, and all piled into the RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss for coffee.
The first stop was at the start of the Trough, where Hugh made an attempt at showing how it was created - Left.
Thanks to Colin Patrick WGS for background information on the Silverdale Disturbance.
Walking along the line of the Trough, the group entered Trowbarrow, where some members have climbed over the years. Its instability has put most members off in recent years and the classic lines like Jean Jeannie remain a thing of the past.
Passing under Red Wall, the group climbed out of the quarry and back into the Trough, negotiating a wall at one point - Left. This wall represents the boundary between Trowbarrow (now a reserve) and Leighton Hall private land, but most of us didn't see the Private Keep Out sign.

The Trough runs out around Haweswater in Gaitbarrows, and lunch was taken just before Leighton Beck: the county boundary between Lancashire and Cumbria - Right.

Its a good place to lunch with views over Silverdale Moss. Birds seen included a flock of lapwings (technically a desert or a deceit of lapwings), egrets, and seven swans flying in formation overhead.

Hazelslack Farm (now with no peacocks) was passed, and the Trough picked up again in Storth at Cockshot Lane, where Through's Lane appears to be a corruption of Trough.

The return to Arnside was made along the old Hincaster to Arnside railway line. On the left is its route through the cutting between the Ship pub and St Johns Cross - another kind of trough!.

The leader later gave his apologies for the length of the walk, as it was probably about 8 miles rather than his estimate of 5.
©2007 Wizard Wheeze Promotions