K Fellfarers - the outdoor club for people in south Cumbria

Gallery 2010 - July

Greater spotted woodpecker
Kendal wall

Following on from the successful mini-bus trips to Scotland's far north (the Skylark trip) and Ireland (the O' Skylark trip), 9 Fellfarers (plus Richard traveling independently) headed down to Wales for a 'Dai-Lark' week. See Fellfarer 59 for a full write-up.

On the way down, a diversion was made to Hay-on-Wye, and then a quick ascent of Tympa in the Black Mountains from the Gospel Pass. Below left shows the group and the mini-bus at the top of the pass, and below right shows Mick, Clare, David, Margaret, Roger, Paul, Rose, and Norman on the summit.

The following days walk on the Brecon Beacons was abandoned after Corn Du, Pen y Fan, and Cribyn due to very high wind and heavy rain, and we moved on to Broadhaven on the coast.
Hugh & Roger took advantage of the fine sunny weather on Monday morning to get in a spot of hand table tennis (right) prior to the group walking part of the Pembroke Coastal path around the Marloes headland. Below left shows Mick, Clare, Paul, Margaret, Norman, Roger, David, and Rose on the path, and below right a section of the wild coast.
Meanwhile, Richard had joined us, and he spent the day sea kayaking around Stack Rocks.

The next day was spent on a visit to the RSPB managed island of Ramsey. Below left shows Paul and Rose on Foel Fawr looking out to Ynys Cantwr and Ynys Bery, and below right the group waiting at the Visitor Centre for the ferry to return to the island.

Another wet day on Wednesday saw the group move to the Black Mountain area, and a stay in the very cosy volunteer supported hostel at Llanddeusant.
Thursday was spent on the Carmarthen Fan, giving great views of the iconic Brecon escarpments. Left shows lunch in the shelter on Fan Brycheiniog (minus Mick who was ticking a separate 2,000' hill), and right shows Roger and Clare descending Fan Brycheiniog to Bwlch Blaen-Twrch prior to the ascent of Bannau Sir Gaer and its summit Picws Du.

Mick joined us on the last summit of Garreg Las with its two massive summit cairns. We returned over the more interesting hill of Garrag yr Ogof where the limestone had produced some interesting features including the small pothole on the right. Paul, Mick, and Roger are watching Hugh decide it was too tight, leaving it for Rose to squeeze down even further before concurring.
That evening, there was a beautiful sunset - below left. Below right shows the group outside the hostel at Llanddeusant on the final morning. From left to right - Roger, Rose, Paul, Margaret, Norman, Clare, David, Hugh, and Mick.

The drive home was via Church Streeton in Shropshire, where we took a diversion onto the Long Myndd for lunch. From there, a short walk led to Pole Bank, the summit of the Long Mynd - right.

Thanks to Norman, Paul & Rose, and Hugh for the photos.

John Peat's evening walk was rained off, so a pint in the pub was had instead.
The mid week walk took a route over Loughrigg and Silver Howe, and both are shown below.
Another 'Spirit of '34' weekend was held at High House, where all people attending had to arrive by means other than a car. Right shows Clare and Roger descending to Watendlath with full packs.
©2007 Wizard Wheeze Promotions